Q1 2022 – Alternative Protein Investments

In the first quarter (Q1) of 2022, $1.139 Billion USD was invested into Alternative protein companies worldwide. In Q1 2022, there have been 66 investments into alternative protein companies across 23 countries and 6 continents totalling $1139.4M or $1.14B USD:

Q1 2022 alternative protein investment by technology: 
  • Plant-based alternative protein companies received 35 investments or 53% of alternative protein deal flow across 18 countries totalling $477.48M USD or 41.91% of total alternative protein investment
  • Fermentation alternative protein companies received 20 investments or 30% of alternative protein deal flow across 12 countries totalling $486.21 Million USD or 42.67% of total alternative protein investment
  • Cultivated alternative protein companies received 11 investments or 17% of alternative protein deal flow across 7 countries totalling $175.71 Million USD or 15.42% of total alternative protein investment.
In terms of investment per Category:
  • Meat alternative protein companies received 30 investments or 45.45% of alternative protein deal flow totalling $458.3M USD or 40.2% of total alternative protein investment

  • Dairy alternative protein companies received 11 investments or 16.7% of alternative protein deal flow totalling $165.4M USD or 14.5% of total alternative protein investment

  • Ingredient alternative protein companies received 7 investments or 10.6% of alternative protein deal flow totalling $144.9M USD or 12.7% of total alternative protein investment
  • Seafood alternative protein companies received 5 investments or 7.6% of alternative protein deal flow totalling $148.8M USD or 13.1% of total alternative protein investment

  • Pet Food alternative protein companies received 3 investments or 4.5% of alternative protein deal flow totalling $11.5M USD or 1% of total alternative protein investment
  • Egg alternative protein companies received 2 investments or 3% of alternative protein deal flow totalling $15.3M USD or 1.3% of total alternative protein investment

  • Leather alternative protein companies received 2 investments or 3% of alternative protein deal flow totalling $129.4M USD or 11.4% of total alternative protein investment
  • Oil alternative protein companies received 1 investment or 1.5% of alternative protein deal flow totalling $37M USD or 3.25% of total alternative protein investment
  • Bioreactor alternative protein companies received 1 investment or 1.5% of alternative protein deal flow totalling $17M USD or 1.5% of total alternative protein investment
  • Other category (Fat, Honey, Collagen & Gelatin & Babyfood)alternative protein companies received 4 investments or 6% of alternative protein deal flow totalling $11.6M USD or 1% of total alternative protein investment
Top 5 countries by total deal flow into alternative proteins in Q1 2022:
  1. United States received 21 investments or 31.8% of alternative protein deal flow
  2. United Kingdom received 7 investments or 10.6% of alternative protein deal flow 
  3. Israel received 5 investments or 7.6% of alternative protein deal flow 
  4. China received 3 investments or 4.6% of alternative protein deal flow 
  5. Australia received 3 investments or 4.6% of alternative protein deal flow 
In total, the top 5 highest deal flow countries received 39 investments or 59% of all alternative protein investment deals, while the rest of the world (remaining 192 countries) received 41% of the total deal flow.
Top 5 countries by total investment into alternative proteins in Q1 2022:
  1. United States received $449M USD or 39.4% of total alternative protein investment
  2. Israel received $283M USD or 24.8% of total alternative protein investment
  3. China received $102.7M USD or 9% of total alternative protein investment
  4. Singapore received $102.4M USD or 9% of total alternative protein investment
  5. United Kingdom received $41.4M USD or 3.6% of total alternative protein investment
In total, the top 5 highest countries with the greatest alternative protein investment in Q1 2022 received $978.4M USD or 85.87% of the total investment, while the rest of the world (remaining 192 countries) received $160.99M USD or 14.13% of total investment.

author